To assist teachers in guiding their students toward success, I’ve made a comprehensive list for the oral English exam.
It’s always best to make your own questions that fit the exact content you have been through throughout the year. This list serves as inspiration for those who just need a little extra inspiration before the oral exam. Always remember to adapt and modify these questions to suit your specific curriculum.
If you want a specific topic that has yet to be covered, please don’t hesitate to reach out in the comment section at the bottom of the page. Thanks!
- Who are the Amish, and what sets them apart from other religious groups?
- Why do you think Amish people live like they do?
- What makes the life of an Amish teenager different from yours?
- How do the Amish prioritize community and family life?
- What is the role of agriculture in the Amish way of life?
- How do the Amish view technology and its impact on their community?
- How does education differ within the Amish community compared to mainstream education?
- What are some misconceptions or stereotypes about the Amish, and how can we address them?
- Can you discuss the challenges and benefits of living in an Amish community?
- What are some challenges the Amish face in preserving their traditional way of life in modern times?
- Which similarities or differences are there between Australia and our country?
- What kind of wildlife does Australia have?
- What do you know about the indigenous people of Australia?
- What is the significance of the Great Barrier Reef, and why is it important to Australia?
- How have the aboriginals been treated since Australia was colonized?
- What kind of nature and climate zones does Australia have?
- How does their accent differ from American or British English?
- How can we make sure that the indigenous culture in Australia is preserved?
- What could be some of the advantages or disadvantages of living in Australia?
- How do you think the lives of the Aboriginal people would be today if Europeans had never arrived?
- Why do you think many black Americans feel they are treated unfairly?
- How do you think it affects black youth, to see/not to see fictional characters with their skin color?
- How have black Americans contributed to American culture?
- What problems do black Americans still face today?
- What is the impact of the Black Lives Matter movement?
- Why do you think black Americans appear far more in the crime statistics?
- What famous black Americans do you know of? Why is it important to have a black role model?
- What issues do you think a multiracial teenager, with a black and a white parent, is exposed to?
- What are some key moments or events in the history of Black America that have shaped the fight for equality?
- How would America be different, if the country was ruled entirely by people of African decent?
- Why do you think Canada is often regarded as one of the best countries to live in?
- How is the relation between humans and nature in Canada?
- How have the inuits been treated in Canada?
- What measures can be taken to safeguard Canada’s nature and animals?
- What famous Canadian people do you know of, and what do you think of them?
- Which similarities or differences are there between Canada and our country?
- Why is ice hockey important to Canadians?
- What challenges can arise when a country has two official languages?
- There’s an American stereotype of Canadians being extremely polite, why do you think that is?
- What does the Canadian flag symbolize, and does it fit with their role in the world?
- If the US were to experience another civil war, how do you think it would unfold?
- The last civil war broke out because of disagreements about slavery. What could trigger a civil war today?
- What were the major differences between the North and the South leading up to the Civil War?
- How did the Civil War impact the lives of ordinary soldiers and civilians?
- What were the consequences of the Civil War?
- In what ways did the Civil War change the United States as a nation?
- How important was women’s contribution to the war effort through nursing, spying, and supporting the troops?
- What steps could be taken to prevent or mitigate the chances of a civil war occurring in the future?
- How can dialogue and understanding be used to address conflicts and prevent the escalation into a civil war?
- What would happen to slavery in America, if they didn’t get into a Civil War?
- What is a conspiracy theory, and why do you think they are often widely believed by certain groups of people?
- How does the spread of conspiracy theories impact individuals and society as a whole?
- What are some famous conspiracy theories, and how likely is it they’re true?
- How can critical thinking help individuals evaluate and respond to conspiracy theories?
- If you were to make up your own conspiracy theory, what would it be?
- What potential dangers or risks are associated with the belief in conspiracy theories?
- What’s your opinion on conspiracies like: the moon landing was fake or the Earth is flat?
- How can society effectively respond when a conspiracy theory is proven true?
- How can schools promote critical thinking and help students navigate facts from fiction?
- What is a whistleblower, and should they be supported, if the manage to prove a conspiracy theory?
Crime / serial killers
- How does crime affect the economy and development of a country or region?
- Can you discuss the relationship between poverty, inequality, and crime rates?
- Why do people join a gang and how are they recruited?
- What are some factors that contribute to the escalation of gang wars and conflicts?
- Is America doing time in prison the right way, or is there a better way to rehabilitate inmates?
- What do you think about the quote “if you can do the crime, you can do the time”?
- What are some common characteristics and traits often associated with serial killers?
- How do serial killers select and target their victims, and what are some patterns that may emerge?
- How do you feel about true crime being used as entertainment?
- What drives certain people into becoming serial killers?
- How does the death penalty conflict with the fundamental right to life?
Entering another culture
- What do you think it would be like, moving to a different country?
- Why do you think people seek out different ways of travelling?
- Which English speaking country would you prefer to move to and why?
- Which problems could you face when living in a different culture?
- Why do you think people choose to be exchange students? Would you try it yourself?
- What does culture mean to you in your everyday life?
- How does entering another culture contribute to personal growth and understanding of different perspectives?
- How can stereotypes hinder the process of entering another culture? How can we challenge and overcome them?
- What challenges does immigrants/refugees face when entering another culture? How can we support their integration?
- What are some cultural norms and customs to be aware of when entering a new culture? Why is it important to respect and adapt to them?
- What are e-sports, and why have they gained popularity in recent years?
- How is e-sport different from traditional sport, and when does something become a sport?
- What audience, competitions, and potential career opportunities are there in e-sport?
- What similarities and differences are there if you compare sport and e-sport?
- What kind of challenges could women face in the gaming world?
- Can you name some popular e-sports games or tournaments, why are they popular?
- What are the skills and qualities required to excel in e-sports?
- Can you discuss any controversies or challenges associated with e-sports?
- Are there any health concerns related to prolonged gaming sessions in e-sports? How can they be addressed?
- How can schools and educational institutions support students interested in pursuing e-sports?
- What is your opinion on websites that make fake news for entertaining or educational purposes?
- What is fake news, and why has it become a prominent issue in today’s society?
- How can you distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources of information?
- What is the motivations behind creating and spreading fake news? What are the potential consequences?
- What punishment, if any, should people who deliberately spread fake news have?
- Which population group is most vulnerable to fake news, and why?
- What is the potential danger of spreading fake news?
- How can fake news be used to influence important elections?
- How can journalists and media organizations maintain credibility and trustworthiness?
- What role does social media play in spreading fake news? What can be done to address the issue?
Guns / school shooting
- What is gun violence, and why is it a big problem?
- What can cause or contribute to gun violence?
- How can we help those who have survived gun violence?
- What is the Second Amendment, and how does it relate to gun violence?
- Why do some people turn to gun violence, and how can we prevent it?
- How can education and awareness campaigns help reduce gun violence?
- How do school shootings affect students, families, and communities?
- How does mental health relate to school shootings?
- How can the media help prevent or make school shootings worse?
- What can schools do to improve security and be prepared for emergencies?
Health and beauty
- What does it mean to have a healthy lifestyle, and how does it contribute to overall well-being?
- How does regular exercise and physical activity benefit both physical and mental health?
- How does the media influence beauty standards and the way people perceive their own bodies?
- How can society or schools promote body positivity and beauty standards?
- What do you think about body shaming, and why do you think it’s a problem?
- Why do you think some people care a lot about the way they look? Do you care about your health and looks?
- What do you think are the biggest health related problems we are facing?
- Different genders and cultures often have different opinions about health and beauty. Why do you think that is?
- A lot of teenagers are getting cosmetic surgery. What is your opinion about that?
- Can you discuss the potential risks and benefits associated with popular dieting trends or fads?
- What are human rights, and why are they important?
- How do human rights affect individuals and society?
- What are children’s rights, and why are they important?
- How does education help people learn about human rights?
- Can you give examples of human rights being violated?
- How can we protect children who are homeless and living on the streets?
- What are some basic human rights that everyone should have?
- How can social media help promote and support human rights issues?
- Can you think of any famous people who have fought for human rights?
- Why is it important to treat everyone equally, regardless of their background?
- India became the most populous country on earth in 2023. Are there any pros or cons connected to that?
- How has the caste system influenced social dynamics and inequalities in Indian society?
- What makes Bollywood movies unique compared to other film industries around the world?
- What do you think about the Indian tradition of arranged marriage?
- What do you think about Hinduism, and the concept of karma?
- What are some of the key factors contributing to the existence of slums in India?
- How did the exchange of ideas, language, and culture between India and Great Britain shape both societies?
- Who was Mahatma Gandhi? And what good did he do for India?
- How are cows treated and revered in Indian society, compared to ours?
- What are some of the environmental issues India is facing?
- Which similarities or differences are there between Ireland and our country?
- Can you explain why Saint Patrick’s Day is important in Irish culture?
- What are some places in Ireland that tourists like to visit?
- What can you tell us about some Irish traditions?
- How did the Great Famine affect Ireland and its people?
- What role did Irish immigrants play in shaping the United States?
- Can you explain the tradition of “trick-or-treating” and its connection to the Irish holiday of Halloween?
- What is the nature and wildlife like in Ireland?
- What comes to mind when you think of Ireland?
- How do you think stories and legends about leprechauns or banshees influence young people?
- What is the historical background of the relationship between Ireland and Northern Ireland?
- What does LGBT+ stand for, and why do you think the name has gotten longer and longer?
- What challenges do LGBT individuals face daily? How can society be more inclusive and accepting towards them?
- How can schools support LGBT students? Should specific policies or programs be implemented?
- What is an ally, and what role do allies play in supporting the LGBTQ+ community?
- What are some misconceptions or stereotypes about LGBTQ+ individuals? How can we challenge these?
- Should LGBTQ+ history be included in school curricula? What impact could this have on students’ acceptance?
- What are the mental health challenges faced by LGBTQ+ individuals, and how can we address them as a society?
- Should LGBTQ+ individuals have the same legal rights and protections as heterosexual individuals? Why or why not?
- How can we foster a culture of acceptance within our communities, where LGBTQ+ individuals can feel safe?
- What are some examples of LGBTQ+ hate that you are aware of? How does it make you feel?
- How can social media platforms contribute to both positive and negative attitudes towards the LGBTQ+ community?
- Should there be specific laws or policies that address LGBTQ+ hate crimes or discrimination?
- Why do many religious communities have issues with LGBTQ+ individuals? Do some promote understanding?
- What is the Pride festival and what significance does it have for LGBTQ+ individuals?
- Some cities or countries face opposition or controversy surrounding Pride festivals. Why do you think this is the case?
- What does the Pride flag symbolize, and why do other LGBTQ+ individuals also have an individual flag?
- What do pronouns represent, and why are they important for individuals, particularly in the LGBTQ+ community?
- How does hate speech or bullying LGBTQ+ individuals impact their mental health and overall well-being? How can we combat this issue?
Making a difference
- What does “making a difference” mean to you?
- Can a single person really change the world, and why or why not?
- How can individuals make a positive impact in their communities?
- What are some examples of people who have made a significant difference in history?
- How can young people make a difference in their schools or local communities?
- What difficulties do individuals encounter when they try to make a difference?
- How can technology and social media be used to make a positive impact?
- Is making a difference only possible through big actions, or can small acts of kindness also have a big impact?
- What personal qualities or skills can help someone be effective in creating change?
- What are some reasons why people may feel discouraged or unmotivated to make a difference?
- What does it mean to “change the world,” and why is it important for individuals to strive for positive change?
- What issue(s) are you passionate about, and what steps do you plan to take to make a positive impact?
- Can you think of inventions that made a difference? How did they make a positive change?
Minorities / being different
- How are indigenous people treated in their own homeland?
- How would it influence your identity if you grew up in a different culture and/or a religion?
- How has the modernization of society impacted indigenous traditions and way of life?
- Which roles do parents, friends and surroundings play, when it comes to forming your identity?
- Do you think indigenous people would be better off without European settlers?
- What is your opinion on people with different sexual orientations than yourself?
- What does The Stolen Generation mean?
- How do you think it affects a person to be taken away from their family and culture?
- What are some positives and negatives of being different?
- What lessons can we learn from the history of colonization?
- What does white-, male-, and economic privilege mean? Are they true?
- How can recognizing and acknowledging privilege help in creating a more just society?
- Can you mention a social movement? What are their strategies and goals?
- How does music impact our emotions and moods?
- What are some qualities or characteristics that make a music artist successful and respected?
- How does music influence the lives of teenagers?
- Can you discuss the role of music in shaping teenage identity and self-expression?
- What are some positive aspects of music, such as promoting diversity, inclusivity, and social awareness?
- How does music help young people navigate challenges and emotions during their teenage years?
- Can you discuss the benefits of music lessons in schools?
- Can you share a personal experience or story about how music has had an impact on your life?
- Has music become better or worse over the decades, why or why not?
- Loud music can damage the hearing, how will the hearing of todays teenagers be in the future?
- What are some iconic landmarks and attractions in New York that you would like to visit?
- Can you discuss the cultural diversity and melting pot nature of New York City?
- Can you analyze the impact of Broadway and the theater scene on New York City’s cultural identity?
- What do you believe is the reason behind New York earning the nickname “the city that never sleeps”?
- How does New York serve as a hub for various industries such as finance, fashion, and technology?
- Should there be more green areas like Central Park in New York, why or why not?
- Who are some famous people from New York, and how did they influence the world?
- What are some of the pros and cons of a city the size of New York?
- How does New York City’s skyline and architecture contribute to its iconic identity?
- Can you discuss the issues with the gap between rich and poor in New York?
- What are some famous landmarks and attractions in New Zealand?
- How has the Māori culture influenced New Zealand’s identity?
- How is New Zealand known for its efforts to protect the environment?
- What are some unique plants and animals in New Zealand?
- How does New Zealand support the rights and well-being of its indigenous Māori population?
- What do you think makes New Zealand a unique country?
- What impact does New Zealand’s nature have on the film industry?
- What do you think about New Zealand’s push for gender equality?
- What similarities or differences exist between New Zealand and our country?
- Would you like to be a teenager in New Zealand, why or why not?
- What role does the haka war dance play in Māori identity, and ceremonial and sporting contexts?
- How does the process of receiving a Māori tattoo foster a sense of community and connection?
- What is police brutality, and why is it an issue in society?
- How has social media played a role in raising awareness about incidents of police brutality?
- What are the underlying causes or factors that contribute to instances of police brutality?
- What measures can be taken to prevent and address police brutality?
- What changes could be implemented within the legal system to prevent police officers from avoiding trial?
- Why are some police officers corrupt? How can this be avoided?
- What factors should be considered when determining the appropriate use of force by the police?
- What are the potential pros and cons of police officers carrying firearms on duty?
- When should non-lethal weapons like tasers or pepper spray be used? What about lethal weapons?
- How can we prevent a George Floyd incident from happening in the future?
- What similarities and differences are there between the US Police force, and our own?
- How does police brutality and racial bias shape the public’s view of the police?
- How has the Black Lives Matter movement brought attention to issues of racial inequality and police brutality?
- What is racism, and why do some people become racist?
- How does the media promote or fight against racism?
- How does racism affect people’s well-being and mental health?
- How can understanding the history of racism help us combat discrimination and inequality today?
- What are the consequences of racism?
- Why is it important to confront and question racist beliefs and actions?
- How does education help fight against racism?
- What is your opinion on making racist comments for fun? Are they acceptable or not, and why?
- What stereotypes are linked to different racial groups, and how do they keep racism going?
- How has colonization and slavery in the past added to racial inequality and racism we see today?
- How does modern racism connect/intersect with other types of discrimination, like sexism or homophobia?
- What did racism look like in the past, compared to today? How is it getting better/worse?
- How does racism affect educational opportunities and outcomes for marginalized students?
- What are some popular reality shows, and what makes them so popular?
- What are the downsides to reality TV in general?
- What are some positive and negative aspects of reality TV?
- How real do you think reality TV really is?
- What are the positive and negative sides to surveillance?
- What are some reasons people enjoy watching reality TV? Are there any potential drawbacks?
- What differences are there between regular celebrities and reality stars?
- What is your personal opinion about reality TV?
- How does reality TV impact our perception of reality and influence our expectations of everyday life?
- Can you discuss any potential benefits or educational aspects of certain reality TV programs?
- How does reality TV impact the participants’ reputation, privacy and future opportunities?
- How does reality TV impact body image and self-esteem for the contestants and viewers?
- What will reality TV look like in the future? Will it evolve and adapt to changing viewer preferences?
- If you had to choose, what kind of reality show would you be on, and why?
Refugees / on the run
- How would you describe the life of a refugee?
- What are some reasons why individuals become refugees and are forced to leave their home countries?
- How do refugees face challenges and difficulties when seeking asylum in a new country?
- What are countries’ responsibilities in supporting refugees? How can nations collaborate to address a refugee crisis?
- How can individuals or communities contribute to a successful integration of refugees?
- What misconceptions exist about refugees? How can we challenge them to foster empathy and understanding?
- Are there successful refugee integration stories? What factors contribute to their success?
- How can education support refugee children? What challenges may the children face in that aspect?
- Why are some people scared or hateful towards refugees?
- How would you like another country to help you out, if you were forced to leave your country?
- What impact does media portrayal have on shaping attitudes towards refugees?
- What factors should refugees consider before returning? How can they ensure their safety and well-being?
- What are some factors that contribute to illegal immigration? And are there solutions to reduce it?
- What is a role model, and why are they important to us?
- Who is a role model you admire, and why?
- How can good role models affect how we act and the choices we make?
- How can bad role models impact our behavior and choices?
- How can parents and schools assist young people in identifying and staying away from bad role models?
- How do role models contribute to our personal growth and development?
- How does being exposed to bad role models impact our personal growth and development?
- Can you give examples of well-known role models and how they influenced society?
- What are some ways to become a good role model for others?
- What lessons can we learn from the mistakes or failures of role models?
- Why do you think people are interested in space and other planets?
- What fascinates you the most about space exploration and the universe?
- Can you discuss the importance of space exploration in advancing scientific knowledge and technology?
- What are some potential benefits and challenges of human colonization on other planets?
- Can you discuss the potential risks and rewards of space tourism and its impact on the future of space exploration?
- What is your opinion on UFOs (unidentified flying objects)? Do you believe in them?
- What did we get out of the space race between USA and the Soviet Union during the Cold War era?
- Do you believe that intelligent life exists beyond Earth? Why or why not?
- Can you discuss the impact of popular culture, such as movies and books, on shaping our perceptions of aliens?
- What man-made things can you find in space? Is it important to utilize space for life on earth?
Sport / hooliganism
- What does sport mean to you, and to others?
- Why do you think some athletes use doping?
- What can be done to prevent doping?
- What are the pros and cons of hooliganism?
- Why do you think some people become hooligans?
- What are the most important things in sports?
- What are the physical, mental, and social benefits of engaging in sports activities?
- How does hooliganism impact the reputation of sports and the fan experience, what can be done?
- Why is fair play and sportsmanship important in the world of sports?
- What are your thoughts on transgender women, competing against biological women?
- In soccer and American football, the fans are often referred to as the 12th man, why is that?
- South Africa has a colorful flag and is often referred to as “The Rainbow Nation”. Why do you think that is?
- How did apartheid affect South African society, and what lasting effects can still be observed today?
- How has South Africa’s diverse population contributed to its rich cultural heritage?
- Who is Nelson Mandela, and what influence did he have on South Africa?
- What role does South Africa’s youth have in shaping the country’s future and addressing social issues?
- How does the existence of squatter camps reflect social and economic inequalities in South Africa?
- After apartheid a lot of poor white people started to emerge, why do you think that is?
- What is South Africa’s nature and wildlife like?
- Which similarities or differences are there between South Africa and our country?
- In 2010 South Africa got to host the football world cup. What opportunities did that give the country?
Teen life / youth culture
- How can a teen pregnancy change your life?
- What are some healthy ways for teenagers to manage academic and personal stress?
- Why do you think some teens get bullied and others bully?
- Whose at fault for bad behavior, the parents or the teenagers, and why?
- Can you discuss the importance of setting goals and planning for the future as a teenager?
- What kind of problems do teenagers experience?
- How do peer pressure and the desire to fit in affect teenagers?
- What are some common challenges that teenagers face in their daily lives?
- How has technology influenced the way teenagers communicate and socialize with others?
- What are some common stereotypes or misconceptions about teenagers? Do you think they are accurate?
Terrorism / warfare
- What is terrorism, and can you define it in more than one way?
- What are the ethical concerns related to the use of increased surveillance in response to terrorist attacks?
- How can we maintain privacy and security when implementing surveillance as a counterterrorism measure?
- What are the reasons for acts of terrorism and what factors contribute to the emergence of terrorist organizations?
- What are some notable terrorists/terrorist attacks, and what impact did they have on societies and governments?
- What role does the media have in shaping the public perception and understanding of terrorism?
- How does religion influence and sometimes contribute to the motivation behind acts of terrorism?
- How can societies effectively address the causes of terrorism and prevent individuals from becoming radicalized?
- How should the society respond, if a former terrorist wants to seek redemption and be part of society again?
- Why is international cooperation crucial in combating terrorism and ensuring global security?
- How can social media contribute to the spread of fear, misinformation, and panic?
- How does promoting inclusivity, empathy, and respect help reduce the impact of terrorism?
- What are the risks and dangers of mass surveillance, including the potential for abuse and violation of civil rights?
- How does discrimination, prejudice, and hate speech contribute to a sense of terror in marginalized communities?
- How does modern technology affect the way military conduct warfare?
- What are the consequences of armed conflicts on civilians and how do they recover and rebuild post-war?
- How do economic factors and resource competition contribute to tensions and conflicts between nations?
- How can we promote stability and peace in regions affected by war?
- How do nuclear weapons impact global security, and what challenges arise when having/not having them?
- How can we learn from past conflicts and promote dialogue and understanding among nations to prevent future wars?
- What ethical considerations arise when nations use military force and how should they balance their responsibility to protect human rights during times of war?
- Which countries make up the United Kingdom, and what are the benefits of being united?
- How would Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland be affected if they no longer belonged to the United Kingdom?
- How has immigration influenced the cultural diversity and social classes of Britain?
- What advantages and disadvantages were there to Brexit?
- What are the Highland Games, and why are they significant in Scottish culture?
- Why does Scotland want to be independent from Great Britain?
- How does the monarchy impact UK culture?
- What is the London Eye, and why do many tourists visit it?
- What is the geographical location of Northern Ireland and its relation to the rest of Ireland and the UK?
- How did British colonization impact the world?
- What stereotypes exist about Americans, and are they accurate?
- Why do you think American culture is popular around the world?
- Which similarities or differences are there between the US and our country?
- What are the two main political parties in the US, and what are their beliefs?
- How does the American military impact the world?
- How are minority groups treated in the United States?
- What positive and negative things has the US done for the world?
- What problems are people in America dealing with, and do you think similar issues exist in other countries?
- What is your favorite American sport, and what do you like about it?
- What does the phrase “Land of the Free” mean to you? How would you define freedom?
When nature strikes
- Why do you think nature has such power compared to us humans?
- In your opinion, why do people fear the power of nature?
- How do you think humans have an impact on nature and catastrophes?
- Imagine you’re on holiday and see a tsunami coming, what do you do before, during and after?
- Which natural disaster are you most fascinated about, and why?
- Can you mention some natural disasters and how they happen?
- What do you think will happen with Earth, as the temperature rise?
- If you were to volunteer helping after a natural disaster, which one would you help with?
- Is climate change real? What should people do to protect nature in the future?
- What can we do to prevent or prepare for drought and wildfires?
- How can protecting the environment help the future generations? What happens if we do nothing?
Det her er en FANTASTISK idé!! Elsker det!!
Tusind tak Maria!
Tusind tak, Morten. De spørgsmål her lige gjort min dag MEGET; MEGET bedre
Det er jeg glad for at høre Birgitte, fortsat god dag. 😃
En virkelig god ide, som jeg opdagede for sent:) Glæder mig til at være med til at udbygge med flere gode spørgsmål og temaer.
Mange tak Helle! Jeg var også relativt sent på den, men dejligt med så meget opbakning, så bliver den rigtig god fremadrettet. 💪
Et emne om “World at war – terrorism” kunne også være fedt!
God idé. Det er hermed tilføjet. 👍